Sunday, February 10, 2008

Happy Heart Day

I didn't mean to be alarmist in that last post. I would describe myself more accurately as "hypoglycemic" rather than "diabetic." I have had one test that confirmed that a few years ago, but since then my blood sugar tests have been normal. I'm definitely going to try to focus on vegetables rather than animal products as I try to lower the amount of carbs in my diet. Of course, the most important thing for me is to cut out/severely limit sugar and white carbs. Progress has been slow but mostly steady on that front.

In any case, we had a delicious, healthy vegan meal for Valentine's Day. We went to Sunflower vegetarian restaurant, which was packed with people of all different ages and backgrounds. I always love to see a vegetarian restaurant full!

We started with miso soup and "sushi" as appetizers:


and moved on to a veggie & tofu sandwich and "Orange Imagination," a delicious plate of seitan, broccoli, carrots, orange slices, pine nuts, and goji berries all coated with a tangy orange sauce.


It was a very satisfying and special meal. And to top it off, a copy of Veganomicon was one of my Valentine's presents!

(Pushups completed: 370)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yum, yum! I went to their first restaurant over a year ago, but the location in Falls Church wasn't open yet. I'll have to try to make it out there soon!

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

Is that the Sunflower restaurant that's in Maryland (or Virginia, I forget which)? If so, I loooove that place and am so jealous that you got to eat there!

Veggie Cookster said...

What an awesome looking dinner! I got Veganomicon for my birthday recently, and I can't wait to dig into it!

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

Oh I know! When I was younger, my mom wouldn't even let me go into a shelter (or a Petsmart on a Saturday when they have their adopt-a-pet days) because I wanted to take all the animals home with me. It's so sad leaving the animals every day, it really is. But I know I CAN'T take them all home. For now I have to be happy that I've saved two and can give at least a little comfort to the rest :o/

Monika K said...

Sweet - what a great Valentine's Day present!