Monday, June 25, 2007

Breakfast of Champions


Sunday brunch is usually not vegan for me. I generally have eggs, but if we're out for brunch, I'm always tempted by the pancake/waffle/french toast offerings. I've always found that if I have a starchy or sweet breakfast, it sets me up for cravings the rest of the day. It's not surprising that happens, but I do like a change from eggs once in a while.

My sister, who also has to watch her blood sugar, recommended Bob's Red Mill 10 Grain Pancake Mix. I made it for the first time Sunday. We made the waffle version, and I had one waffle with homemade blueberry sauce (blueberries cooked down with a bit of water, maple syrup, and lemon peel). I was very surprised to find that 5 hours later, I wasn't even hungry. Apart from making very tasty waffles, this mix has staying power! The only thing is, it's not vegan. The 7-grain organic mix is vegan, but not the 10-grain one.

I was in San Diego on "business travel" last week, and although I didn't eat that badly by most standards, I probably ate many more calories, fat, and dairy than I usually do. It's nice to be home and able to make what I want to eat. I had fruit and nuts for breakfast, lentil salad for lunch, and am looking forward to stir-fried veggies and brown rice for dinner.

No comments: