Monday, March 5, 2007

The Vegetable Garden, Rockville, MD


I'll occasionally post about vegan-friendly restaurants. Most Chinese places are very vegan-friendly, but The Vegetable Garden seems to be totally vegan (although there might be some honey in some dishes).

I'd heard of this restaurant many years ago, but since it's located at the other end of the DC Metro area, it seemed impossibly far away for dinner. Last weekend, HS and I found ourselves with an open evening and the restaurant is right across from a Metro station. We ordered the moo shi cilantro roll, pan-fried dumplings, General Tso's "chicken," and Curry Supreme "chicken." Everything was delicious. The moo shi rolls were like Vietnamese summer rolls (which I love), but were wrapped in moo shu pancakes instead of rice paper wrappers. The dumplings were stuffed with greens but not too strong or bitter. Both "chicken" dishes were nicely flavored, but the General's chicken was not nearly as spicy as I thought it would be. I hope we go back soon because there are many more dishes I'd like to try, such as the interestingly named mugwort soba noodle salad. I don't think I will go for the leek buds sensation or the veggie abalone, though. I like fake meat once in a while but fake seafood is much more unsettling.

No comments: